- Globals Over 50's Housing - 2011 World’s Best Retirement Resort
Waterfall Hills Mature Lifestyle Estate
Midrand-based Century Property Developments has beaten off more than 1,000 international competitors to walk away with the prestigious Globals 2011 for the world’s best retirement resort.
The award was received for its Sunninghill-based Waterfall Hills Mature Lifestyle Estate, which was launched in 2010. The Globals Award is held annually to recognise excellence in over-50s residential housing.
Dan Brown of Century at the Gobals Over 50's Housing award ceremony
International property consultant Dan Brown, one of the project managers of the development, says the award for best retirement resort in the world is a major coup for a South African developer, not to mention what it means for South Africa. “This is a new category intended to differentiate retirement ‘resorts’ from typical retirement villages and old age homes. The judges were particularly impressed by Waterfall Hills’ focus on customised, bespoke homes, and the quality of amenities available to residents in the form of restaurants, tennis court, bowls green, cinema, convenience stores, cinema, gym and aerobics facilities and the like.”
The award was presented at a gala dinner at Grosvenor House in Mayfair London. Other winners included representatives from Malaysia, Australia, the US, Netherlands and the UK.
Century Property Developments has since launched its next mature lifestyle village, Waterfall Valley, comprising 244 bespoke residences, also in Sunninghill –or what is now known as “Waterfall”. Brown says Waterfall Valley will emulate the successful formula adopted at Waterfall Hills, offering residents similar amenities and a greener lifestyle. “There is a growing trend towards high-security over-50s estates that focus on livingrather than getting old, and 90% of our buyers cite this as a major reason to choosing to live here rather than elsewhere,” says Brown.
- CNBC International Property Awards
Century Property Developments is delighted to announce that its Waterfall Equestrian and Waterfall Hills Mature Lifestyle Estates won a total of six awards at the prestigious CNBC International Property Awards competition in 2009:
1. Waterfall Equestrian Estate:
- Best Residential Development in South Africa - 5 star award.
- Best Residential Development in Africa. This estate also represented the continent of Africa at the ‘Best of the World’ awards ceremony, held in San Diego.
2. Waterfall Hills – Mature Lifestyle Estate:
- Best Development Marketing in South Africa - 4 star award.
- Best Retirement Development in South Africa - 5 star award.
- Best Retirement Development in Africa. This estate represented the continent of Africa at the ‘Best of the World’ awards ceremony held in San Diego and won.
- “Best Retirement Development in the World”
The CNBC International Property Awards is the world’s most prestigious competition dedicated to recognising the best real estate professionals and projects across the globe. The fact that Century Property Developments won six of these coveted awards shows that South Africa possesses the capacity not only to compete at this level, but also to triumph within the highly competitive European and African property arenas.
Entries were judged by a panel of professionals whose collective knowledge of the property industry is second to none. The judges included Eric Pickles MP, chairman of the Conservative Party, Ben Wood, industry head property markets of Google UK; Peter Bolton King, group chief executive of the National Federation of Property Professionals; Imtiaz Farookhi, chief executive of the National House Building Council; Christopher Hall, president elect of FIABCI; Wilhelm Harnish, Master Builders of Australia (MBA); Thijis Stoffer, International Consortium of Real Estate Agents Association (ICREA); Helen Shield, editor-in-chief of International Homes Luxury Collection magazine; and Gillian Farr, head of design at Laura Ashley Home.
Mark Corbett, CEO of Century Property Developments, said of winning the award, “We are truly honoured to receive these accolades. This is our first year of entering the Europe & Africa Property Awards, and winning in all five of the categories we entered is a wonderful achievement! We pride ourselves on our uniquely South African approach, and I reckon that it was the combination of environmentally friendly principles and aesthetically pleasing architecture that won the day for us.”
Century Property Developments is one of the most celebrated companies within the South African property arena. This sets the group apart from its competitors and allows it to set the benchmark for other developers to follow.
- A Nedbank “Young Lion” is described as a person that displays the qualities of performance and productivity that raise above
all expectations to reach unique levels of achievement. During the 2010 Nedbank Property Professional Awards, the panel of
honorary judges and trustees could think of no better person that display these qualities, other than Mark Corbett – CEO of
Century Property Developments. Congratulations to the 'Young Lion' winner, Mark Corbett, on his remarkable achievement in winning this year's prestigious
- Waterfall Equestrian Estate has won a total of 7 of the CMA (Concrete Manufacturers Association) Masonry Awards for Excellence, with two being in the Premier category two years in a row - the first such achievement by any property developer in history.
- In 2006, Architect and Specificator magazine listed Carlswald Lifestyle Estate as one of the top 10 non-golf residential estates in Southern Africa.